Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DIY: Adorable Sash Bag

My mom taught me to sew by hand and how to use a sewing machine when I was really young, but only recently have I started sewing regularly. I definitely consider myself to be a novice sewer, and I am still terribly excited and somewhat surprised whenever I make something that turns out nicely. 

My Moms Group (ChesapeakeMommies.com) just started a brand new sewing group and this bag was our first project.  I am so pleased with the results. We used this pattern:


Aimee with Home Spun Threads has tons of free patterns and tutorials.

Cost for Supplies: $15 at Jo-Anns -- using both a 40% and a 50% off coupon.  (I love Jo-Ann's new Mobile Coupons App. Crafters this a must have for your smart  phone!)

Time to Complete: 7 Hours -- a large percentage of that time went into cutting

For me every new project is an adventure and a learning experience.  Here's what I learned with this project:

1. Measure twice; Cut once. My bag is a little smaller than the pattern called for because I was so excited to cut everything up and get started.  Oops!

2. Different materials require different needles.  After breaking two needles, I read my sewing machine manual and figured out that I needed a bigger needle, so I replaced the size 11 needles that I was using with a size 14 and voila no more broken needles!

 
This is the lining of my bag.  I was afraid to pick a pattern for the outside, because I didn't know if I could get it to line up at the seams, but it if the lining is indication, I think I would do fine next time with a patterned outer material.

Before this project, I have never used fusible interfacing or magnetic snaps.  Both turned out to be very simple to work with.  My snaps came in a two pack, so I may have to make another bag!

This is the interior of my bag.  I love the lining and I opted for one big pocket instead of the three small ones that the pattern calls for.

Overall, I am super pleased with the way this turned out.  I had fun making it, looking at it I would never guess that it was home-made and for only $15 I got an adorable new purse!

Craft Project 1/30  Day 9/356

Craft Parties I'm Linking to:



Nothing But Country       Lovely Crafty Home Sunburnt Cow Handmade Shop A Crafty SoireeRunning with Glitter

1 comment:

  1. This looks so nice. There's no way I could make something this beautiful. Even the inside looks great! You have quite a talent there.

    Thanks so much for linking up to the party! I featured you over at the Sunburnt Cow.

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Popular Posts This Week