Thursday, June 23, 2011

DIY: 4th of July Table Runner

This month the project for my sewing group was a table runner using this tutorial: Quilted Table Runner Tutorial. With the forth of July coming up, I decided on a patriotic theme for mine.  This was my first attempt at anything quilted, and I love the way it turned out!  
It's 6 feet long by 15 inches wide and goes perfectly on our bar. 
This is what the opposite end looks like.
I love how bright and festive it is . . .  almost makes me want to have a party, almost.

It's reversible with a more understated flip-side.
When I first read the tutorial, I was a little confused about how it would all come together since it has you sewing through the top layer, the batting, and the bottom layer all at once while piecing the strips of fabric together, but when you start in the middle and keep matching right side to right side and sewing up the edge closest to the end of the runner you are working toward it turns to be quite easy.

There was a lot of cutting in this project and I would not even have attempted it without my Gingher Rotary Cutter!  I love that thing!  Even so it still took me over two hours to cut all my material.  I think like chefs have a prep cook, I need a prep cutter!

With 14 feet of binding going on this table runner, there was no way I was going to hand sew it, so I got lots of practice machine sewing bias tape, and creating square corners (versus rounded, which I think might be a little easier.).  I ended up creating a tutorial for sewing bias too: How to Machine Sew Bias Tape.

Total Cost: $29 -- I bought every thing at Jo-Ann's either on sale or with a coupon and I have tons of material and thread left over.  I am planning to make a dress for one of my girls and a rag wreath with the leftovers.

Time to Complete: 7 hours



I'm Linking to:


Somewhat SimpleVisit thecsiproject.comSuzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom

HookingupwithHoH

3 comments:

  1. wow, I would love to try this quilted method. I love table runners and make them but not quilted. Very nice. I love this!!!
    following you now
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project!!

    I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party and I hope you will join in on the fun by sharing this link.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/07/red-white-and-blue-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for linking up to my Red, White and Blue Linky Party!

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Popular Posts This Week